Monday, December 24, 2012

Sam's Top 25 of 2012: #2


Somebody that I use to Know-Gotye


The most unlikely smash of the year this very reggae inspired police tinged cut was the best number one smash of the hit and the tune that single handedly introduced me to the gloriously talented song bird known as Kimbra and to think it was all the by-product of an Australian singer songwriter, a bitter break-up, and some time in his parents farm to produce the most modestly strong tune of the year.

The first time I ever heard this song was in a haze of sleep depravity during a late night session of listening to the radio after loveline so I can’t really say much other then the fact that I thought it sounded like what’d happen if sting and Katy Perry decided to make a song together, but oh was I about to be taken to another place whenever this song crawled into my subconscious and started to really pick up steam along the way because by the time I finally realized what was happening I was blown away that this wonderful little number wasn’t just the best tune I’d heard in a long time but it was becoming a massive hit and that was an amazing feeling to know that the rest of the music buying public could finally realize this.

Here we have the break out alternative hit of the year and every one’s about ready to listen to this album that while being the most read article on this site, but a starting point for a musician that at the very least was going to soon become a staple of album oriented radio and what happens…6 months later after this hit number one it’s nowhere to be found.

This was a supernova large in impact but quick to fade away a damn shame considering the artist involved really are as great as this ranking indicates, but as amazing as this tune is there was just one that stood above it.

No comments:

Post a Comment