Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Best of the Rest of 2014...



So I just got done wrapping up the best songs of 2014 people and even got to doing the 5 worst of the year so why am I still writing articles if I said I was taking the rest of the year off? Well I managed to come up with a couple of songs that came out this year that were ignored for whatever reason or another and figured I’d get them in their own little honorable mentions’ category of sorts because I seemed to miss some really bad ass little gems this year and below will be a Spotify list but here’s my 5 honorable mentions of the year…

1. Happy Idiot-TV on the Radio

So in all honesty I never cared for this band nor do I honestly care that much for them now but this smooth little rocker and it’s kind of depressing themes of a bad breakup and it’s stark method of playing on the phrase Ignorance is bliss really has made a decidedly enjoyable tune that’s every bit of depressingly steady rock and roll that I’m all for.

2. I don’t know you anymore-Bob Mould

You’d think my fondness for this man’s work would have kept me in the loop about a song this decidedly BAD ASS and the purest most Sugar tinged awesomeness that this man is capable of but in all honesty I just didn’t give this amazing track the attention it deserved and when I’d written the list I randomly came across this track and was pissed that I didn’t include it because I’m pretty sure it’d of easily been within the top 10 if not top 5.

3. Millions-Gerard Way

So I recall doing a song of the day on this tune and was aware of it but for whatever reason I seemed to miss the mark on this one and it’s probably because I kind of didn’t care as much for the album it was on in the long run even if this is honestly the strongest thing Way has probably done since the Black Parade in terms of solid rockers that surprisingly show some versatility for him as a vocalist and it’s kind of old school-ish vibes aren’t done in a way that make it seem like a cheap imitation but rather an original tune in its own right that honestly should have made a decent impact on radio.

4. Cool Kids-Echosmith

So here we have a dreamy little pop number about wishing you were like the cool kids so you don’t get picked on and yeah it was a decent radio success and while they’re solid when it comes to these dreamy poppy numbers they do sound a lot like a watered down Paramore with a lead singer that looks like Anna Kendrick which actually isn’t bad at all…..but even those aside this was just a solid pop number that didn’t quite make the cut but was still solid none-the-less.

5. Think of You-MS MR

SO this song was going to be on the list but in all honesty it got cut literally at the last minute because both Chvrches and The Smashing Pumpkins managed to get songs out that just HAD to be on there so while I did have my fair share of moments with this bad ass little jam I just ended up cutting it last minute.



No comments:

Post a Comment