Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Sam's Top 20 of 2014: #19



19. Lana Del Rey-West Coast

So what does Mrs. Rey and the Pokemon Jigglypuff have in common? Well if you said their siren song will put you to sleep then you are absolutely correct and yes while I am aware that’s a very harsh critique in most cases of listening to her material that I actually spent a fairly decent amount of time really doing that this year because of the large number of die hards I’ve come across it’s legitimately hard to just not find the majority of tunes she makes to be very boring and pretentious and while Ultraviolet was an ok effort overall I still was yet to be swayed…..well ok I’m lying because she actually does have a couple of songs I do legitimately enjoy namely this groovy little tune being one of them.

If I had to pinpoint this songs strengths it’d probably be its shifting tones that go from a kind of chugging groovy sensation to these very dreamy exclamations of, “move baby move baby I’m in love,” that kind of give this song a very sweeping motion that is a lot better than I honestly thought she’d be able to do and it’s also probably the only song from that album that is good just on its own.

A very solid tune from a fairly overrated artist that lead me to take enough time to thoroughly be interested in forming a base opinion because she made such a solidly catchy tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment