Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Sam's Top 20 of 2014: #14



14. The Smashing Pumpkins-Being Beige

So is it any god damn surprise what so ever that I’d put the ALL MIGHTY SMASHING PUMPKINS on my list people I mean them being my favorite band kind of tells you right from the get go that I’ll at the very least enjoy whatever product Mr. Billy Corgan and company put out and this tune is yet another one of those examples.

There’s a mixed reaction to this tune in that a bunch of fans are kind of disappointed in how soft a tune it is and others seem to either compare it to Coldplay or Corgan’s Zwan project and I can see where people would think that in how it’s a softer more straightforward tune but if you were to look at the material he was working on back in 2007 with the residency shows I think it’s more like those songs which isn’t a bad thing because like many a tune from that time he’d been kicking around he gave it a hefty dose of studio ass kicking and amped up the electric guitars to give the song a sweeping feel that is the tried and true modern pumpkins sound that was like the better tracks on Oceana and the only reason I can’t put it any higher on this list is because the end of it’s a little too repetitive for even my taste and his constant uttering of the worlds on fire is something that kind of brings down an already solid single from being great.

Although in all honesty at the end of the day I’m just glad for new pumpkins music.

No comments:

Post a Comment