Monday, December 26, 2016

Sam's Top 20 of 2016: #5

5.Wasted On You-Bleached

Of all the acts that were probably my favorite just kind of out of the blue discovery from radio I'd have to say this little group of punk rockers is my favorite and Welcome to the Worms is a bad ass fucking album just chock full of bad ass songs, and while I should be most likely be putting tracks like, “Keep On Keepin' On,” or “Wednesday Night Melody,” for being some pretty spectacular radio singles that do a good job of getting one interested in buying the album it's actually this deep cut that just completely sold me on this band.

“Getting Glassed what's a girl to do? I'm a mess it's nothing really new, Hoping you can see how hard I'm tripping, ditching friends just to go to your shows, and watch you sing about another girl, oh I might start dying,”

With that line I was just hooked right the fuck there at the time my heart was broken and I had just heard this band on the radio and decided to give their album a listen and that line right the fuck there just kind of hit me right in the feels.

I remember I actually got to talk to Jennifer Clavin about that  and she thought it was pretty sad that I was heartbroken which was kind of sweet to see she seemed to care about some random strangers feels.

I also remember telling her about how this song reminds me in a lot of ways of the song Superstar by the Carpenters in it's longing for a rock star imagery in the lyrics at points and the fact that it's an incredibly heartbroken number that reeks of longing for that which you don't have which are amplified when you're not entirely over heartbreak and can helped in it's own way in giving you something to grab onto when you're looking to get over those feelings.

So after my first time seeing them at Beach Ball they came back around town on Halloween and I saw them again but a few hours before their show they did an acoustic version of this on the radio and to say that it was a fucking mind blowing experience is an understatement of a century and the fact that they've yet to put up an audio recording of that interview is fucking painful because I just wish the world could just hear it over and over again because it was the final reminder of just why I put it so high on my list this year.

This song is the most wonderfully heartbreaking and simple song this band has done and it's simple premise along with it's fairly short run time of just over 3 minutes and a very old school alternative sound make a tune that caught me on it's first rotation and never let go and getting to tell this group in person just how important this song is to me is quite great........even if they forgot to play it when they promised me they would but hey I'm not mad because of that radio performance and the fact that they even made this song in the first place.

So yeah this band is FUCKING AWESOME! And they've managed to make one of the few albums that I really could consider something great this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment