Friday, December 16, 2016

Sam's Top 20 of 2016: #11

11.The 1975-UGH!

I have to give Matt Healy and company credit for really becoming a phenomenon in and of themselves off what was really quite a good debut album that I still feel is a strong record but if I were to be honest if there was a band I could say that I fell out any harder with it'd be this little group of Englishmen.

It's not to say their music is trash because on the contrary their newest effort, “I Like it when you sleep,” and the overly long title galore has plenty of good songs on it...that happen to sound just like a host of other more interesting musicians that either are more significant or are terribly underrated like INXS, but when they're good they are in-fact quite great and in terms of all the songs I can recall from what was the most spectacularly forgettable release of the year and of all the good ones that actually sounded like a genuine 1975 tune I'd have to go with this slice of groove in the form of UGH!

So this song is probably the best lyrically of all the tongue and cheek that this band is pretty well established in with my favorite line about how, “This song only last 3 minutes,” and it's actually 3 minutes which is very stupid funny I'll admit but when you contrast that with this song being a not so thinly veiled tune about Healy's drug habit over a very unassumingly catchy melody you realize just why kinds think their so edgy and cool listening to what's a formula that's been done for years.

Although I will admit formulaic or not this song is fucking catchy and I sang along to it way more than I'd think I would considering, “The Sound,” and, “Somebody Else,” are significantly better tunes overall but they both just kind of didn't really capture my attention or weren't really only good because of somebody else like a great local act doing a solid cover or sounding like one of Daft Punks best songs.

Overall I haven't lost faith in this band I just hate squealing obsessive teenage fan-girls and this groups fans are some of the fucking worst because they've yet to realize that they aren't a particularly good band as much as an incredibly fashionable one.



No comments:

Post a Comment