Thursday, December 29, 2016

Sam's Top 20 of 2016: #2

2.(Mr.)Love Drunk-Kangaroo Knife Fight

What's kind of funny to think about is the fact that I only got to see ONE full show from this band this year and all it took was one show and a phenomenal EP to have these guy's at the number 2 spot on my list which is fucking crazy to think about because the majority of songs that were on this years list I saw get played multiple times in a variety of places and really got to know a wide variety of the bands in question and saw so much growth but with these guy's all I got was a small taste at a showcase and a few conversations at said showcase and one hour long EP release show that was 9 different kinds of spectacular, and it's the first track from that EP that left an impact that was larger than I could have possibly imagined.

In all of 3 words to describe this band I'd have to say THEY FUCKING ROCK for real with one of the best god damn vocalist Kansas City has to offer  in the form of one Anthony Avis along with the tightest most solid musicians around this band showcases pretty much everything that makes a band great and when faced with a phenomenal set of 4 songs this song in particular stood out right from the get go as something spectacular.

From Avis' delivery of the line, “Mr. Mr. Love drunk, She's out of my league now, was a fool to believe knock me to my knees, knock me to my knees,” you feel like a drunk Kangaroo getting rejected by every gorgeous woman around,which minus the whole being a Kangaroo is a pretty accurate way to describe most of my dating life this year, but that little awkward bit of mental imagery is irrelevant because this song not only has some of the most powerhouse vocals but it also has the musicianship to back it up with some solidly tight and steady paced tones that evoke all the best thoughts of past Kings of Leon tunes you get a track that has an addictive in way's that only a select number of other tracks could really match for me.

In it's simplest forms this song is maybe the best example of just how great this band works as a unit because it's everything you could want in a rock song with it's larger than life chorus that just begs to be sang along to and a sound that has commercial appeal but isn't stiff or generic you're left with a song that leaves you with this dangerously addictive urge to just listen to it on repeat for months on end with only small breaks here and there before you eventually find yourself crawling right back to it time and time again and after 8 fucking months I still fucking just adore this god damn song.


No comments:

Post a Comment