Monday, March 16, 2015

Song of the Day 3/17/15



I recently got a suggestion from a co worker and after giving it a week or 2 to kind of stew it over I figured I’d have some fun this week and cover 5 Emo tunes because well why the fuck not so get your eye-liner, tight pants on because it’s time to start hating your parents and practicing your myspace pose people because it’s time for EMO WEEK!!!!

Now with that wonderful image of early 2000’s teenage culture in mind I should probably note that there’s actually a decent amount of shit to look into and be technical about when it comes to saying a song or band is emo and there’s actually different phases and sub genre’s about but to clear the air and make things easier for me I’m just going to make note that I’m more sticking with songs that are less about the genre in a sense of music and more image and lyrics so sorry for the likes of Pinkerton Era Weezer, Jawbreaker, Fugazi, and Sunny Day Real Estate because this is more modern day image focused acts that range from pop punk, post hardcore, and general alternative rock.

With that premise in mind I had to think to myself who would be the best act to stat this week with then it hit me like a ton of bricks….


Ohio is for Lovers-Hawthorne Heights

So when I think 8th grade emo there’s one group that rules them all and that has to be this little group from Ohio and more specifically this ode to broken hearts and slit wrist in the form of 2004’s Ohio is for Lovers which years down the line is the most basic sounding scream heavy whinny verses alternative rock song that so heavily dominated a period of time in the early to mid 2000’s and while this song really isn’t anything to spectacular especially when compared to plenty of their contemporaries like Taking Back Sunday or Fallout Boy it’s still a charming song that you can’t help but listen to as the guiltiest of guilty pleasures and with that in mind nothing screams Emo better than this….



No comments:

Post a Comment