Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Tuesday Two-Fer

So a few day's ago a friend of mine called me up and was like, "LISTEN TO THIS RIGHT FUCKING NOW!" and I was sitting there hearing a very blury sounding song that I couldn't quite make out before it finally hit the chorus and I came to realize I was listening to Maroon 5 covering Sex and Candy....

Sex and Candy-Marcy Playground(1997) & Maroon 5(2014)

So it's interesting when you come to realize this songs 17 years old people and in all honesty in that time there's not a whole lot I can say about the alternative rocker it's a straightforward kind of tongue and cheek kind of number that's still rather funky today but isn't anything to spectacularly amazing and the fact that it's managed to maintain some sense of groove all these years is about the best thing I can come up with.

Maroon 5 for whatever reason decided to take what's a fairly dirty number, slow it down, crank up the funk, and try to sex it up even more for a deluxe edition of an album that's both a not so cleaver method of saying it's their 5th album and also letting us all know what their target audience mostly possesses by this point. All jokes aside it's actually a pretty groovy cover that I don't dislike surprisingly enough and while it's not making this song any better it's doing what all great covers do and not making it any worse either and for that I raise a glass and let this funky little number kind of groove off into the sunset.

Listen below and tell me what you think...

Marcy Playground:





Maroon 5:


No comments:

Post a Comment