Saturday, September 27, 2014

Happy 4 Year Sam's Song of the Day!!!!!

So I'm aware that I've been less then spectacular when it comes to posting because to be honest I've had to deal with a wide variety of stupid shit coming at me in a continuous wave of annoyance that's managed to both drain me mentally and leave me in a constant state of being on edge and just hating life as I know it which is really shitty people because I'd love to really make something out of this but when I can't fucking write I can't fucking write I'm not really in the mood to be apologetic or to lie to the world it's just the way I am.

Now all seriousness aside there's a realization I'd made earlier this month that I was quickly approaching this blog's 4th anniversary and I made sure to promise myself that no matter what happens that I'd post for that day because it's significant to me because I remember getting the motivation from my friend Verta to start a blog after I'd been posting these on the Smashing Pumpkins Forums and ever since I took the plunge I've loved posting on here it's legitimately something that brings me joy and I want it to truly become something because archiving the songs I've heard is just crazy especially when I look back.

All warm and fuzzies there I couldn't honestly pinpoint one particular tune to justify the whole post with and since I've avoided a Friday's finest or two in my process of having my 20th nervous breakdown I figured I'd compile a short hand list of 5 tunes kind of like when you get married your bride to be has something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue I'd instead post a classic, a newer tune, a song with importance, a song that's fun, and of course the first song I ever posted on this blog so before I link the playlist here's the 5 tunes for ya:

1. Something Old: Sheena is a Punk Rocker-The Ramones

I've recently been listening to an astronomical amount of punk rock lately and in the process I've kind of been thinking a lot about this band in particular because their first album is an amusing little insight of short tunes with no real song structure beyond a couple of chords and maybe a verse to accompany a very straightforward chorus but even so I've also noticed that they also seem to really have a knack for stupid simple love songs or at the very least making me think of the perfect woman.

I'm sure you're curious so I'm going to just say it Punk rock Girls as the Queers said who on a lesser note actually covered this song but that's irrelevant are in fact quite yummy as fucking odd as that sounds there's something unquestionably attractive about a girl who enjoys being a bit of a punk and loves this kind of music I know I'm still looking for Sheena and also on a lesser note Husker Du did a BAD ASS cover of this song on their living end live album.

2. Something New: Up We Go-Lights

So on the topic of attractive women I'm just going to say while I'm not necessarily sold on Lights music and would still rather completely obsess over the likes of Lauren Mayberry or Meg Myers this chicks a fucking babe people and this video is more than evident of the things that having a kid can do and the fact that she's managed to get an even more banging figure is just wrong in every right way and also oddly enough this semi-uplifting kind of anthemic sounding tunes really starting to grow on me people gotta give the girl credit she's both pretty and can make a damn fine tune.

3. A Song with Importance: I of the Mourning-The Smashing Pumpkins

You know any time my life's gone to shit or I'm in a crisis I usually find myself blasting Machina the Machines of God by The Smashing Pumpkins because in all honesty that album has a light at the end of the tunnel feel for me in that it oddly calms me and can really get my head in order as the songs progress with this song in particular being the truest expressions of loneliness, alienation, and the desire of that which is amazing and fulfilling to never leave your side.

I honestly find this to be the strongest instance of Billy Corgans post apocalyptic story of an album to actually give me a decent picture of the characters he attempted to paint and find something I can attach myself to because I'm not going to lie I never could get into the story of Glass and the Machines of god or whatever Billy's grand idea was at the time of their demise it's just that this album served as a better swan song then people gave it credit for especially in songs as amazingly done as this one and it's really a whole lot more joyful and positive then things appeared at that time and it has that effect for me because it's a small step in the right direction when I'm hopeless and this song starts hitting those feels.

4: A song that's Fun: Only a Lad-Oingo Boingo

What an awesomely overlooked band Oingo Boingo were people no seriously their names fucking dumb as shit but god damn did they make some of the best new wave tracks of the 80's and to think about just the amount of impressive soundtrack work their lead singers done since then it's fucking crazy people and while I wanted to post Little girls as a cheeky stab to my shitty ex roommate and his affinity for gloating about banging a 16 year old when he's 24.....yeah he's a fucking creep and a half....I just didn't want to go there people instead I want to enjoy something and this song's one of those things.

5: The First Song posted on this blog: Champain-Cee-Lo Green

Yeah I'm not ashamed to say that I got to love some Cee-Lo"Say the wrong thing" Green and while his comments on rape where dumb as fuck for him to say it doesn't take away the fact that his fat overly confident self isn't responsible for some truly great music and even though I'd be extra lying to say I gave any fucks for anything he made before The Lady Killer there was that one off Stray Bullets mixtape that housed some truly bad ass gems and this song probably the strongest of them all and I recall it being an early download for those who subscribed to his newsletter or something but really this songs just a serious toned track that's a good exercise in his range as a vocalist and the fact that it is so serious sounding and kind of modern in tone compared to the Lady Killers complete throwback tone is probably why the world didn't get a mass release of this gem but even now listening to it for the first time in quite a while even after the dumb shit is all said and done I'm not ashamed this song fucking kicks ass.

SO there we have it 5 songs for the 4 year anniversary of the Blog stay tuned though February is right around the corner and my favorite number is 5....thanks for sticking through people for those who actually read thanks a lot you keep me doing this and to my haters....Fuck off.



No comments:

Post a Comment