Thursday, January 3, 2019

Sam's Best of 2013

The Mother We Share-CHVRCHES

If there was ever a time frame when 96.5 the Buzz truly defined me it was this year and looking back at that particular year end list it's like basically letting the machine dictate my taste and while there's a few odd ball choices here and there are plenty of tracks that are me doing exactly what they wanted, but even with that in mind this list holds a special place for me because even with that knowledge there's some genuinely great stuff on there and I really do legitimately still have a big adoration for this tune especially considering where this band went since then.

This song is really a sign of things to come because over the past couple of years the whole let's rip off Depeche Mode and New Order style really seems to have picked up steam and a host of new wave inspired tones are really starting to become a thing to the detest of some rock journalist and the joy and elation of some listeners I'm not a hundred percent sure my stance considering I like these things but at the same time it is a tone that could let more pop in than I'd care to listen to for any reason.

I like this band but I'm over the honeymoon phase and it was the day after one of their show's the following year that I had the worst day of my life so it's hard to look back on them too fondly or listen to a lot of music from this or the following year very fondly and while 2013-15 where some of the most involved and consistently strong year end list in retrospect they also happen to be soundtrack to a guy trying to cover up trauma.




No comments:

Post a Comment