Friday, August 8, 2014

Friday's Finest



You know I was reading this article on Buzzfeed about facts that only true Blink-182 fans can identify with or something along those lines and I was recently showed this song by The Madden Brothers which is basically Good Charlotte Minus the pop punk and was reminded of the fact that I like many teenagers went through this very odd little Pop Punk phase where I found myself listening to a shit load of terrible bands that sound a whole lot like Blink-182 and with that in mind I figured I’d let that be a good theme for today’s Friday’s Finest in the form of my favorite cheesy tunes from those awkward growing years…

1. I’d Do anything-Simple Plan

So when I was sifting through some of this bands tunes I was reminded that they were probably the most pop minded of all the bands that came around that time and it really shows the most in this particular tune which is the cheesiest love song you could possibly hear and the fact that it has Mark Hoppus actually sing a verse kind of makes the Blink-182 mentioning at the beginning of this article a little bit more ironic…

2. My Bloody Valentine-Good Charlotte

So with the whole Madden Brothers attempting to be a thing I was kind of reminded of the fact that the Young and Hopeless is 12 years old….now that’s a lot to really let sink in people because I remember actually listening to this album on the bus ride to school when I was in middle school and after maybe the time they tried to become more serious in tone with that Chronicles of Life and Death album and slowly becoming aware of what real punk rock is that I found this album and them to become a very lame group of posers and this song even though it was one of the better glimpses of the album to come somehow still manages to actually be a pretty decent little number that I can enjoy now that I can reflect over things and not feel ashamed of being humorously amused by cheesy pop punk..

3. Life after Lisa-Bowling For Soup

You know it’s hard to really think about the fact that this band actually was going around the same time Blink became a big thing and are considered one of many groups to kind of knock them off and in more recent years I find these guy’s to actually become a slightly better band in retrospect and this song in all it’s fairly typical post breakup get the fuck over yourself way’s is one of many examples of actually decently done Pop Punk at its finest and while it’s not as instantaneously memorable as 1985 it’s honestly a better song probably because of it also it’s that kind of teenage moody angst track that we all know we still secretly feel at times..

4. All Down Hill From Here-New Found Glory

So I’m not even going to lie if I were to come up with a textbook sound for what I’d have to say is pop punk in a nutshell I’d probably just throw on a New Found Glory record because while I really do enjoy the songs they make and their quirky sense of humor in the videos they make their lead singer has a very poppy voice and the musicianship is very fast and reckless indeed but still very melody focused and this song’s one of the few that I can immediately recall that  has some form of heft and even though it’s ten years old I still find myself enjoying as much now as I did 10 years ago…

5.Flavor of the Week-American Hi-Fi

So the early 2000’s was the shit I can’t lie people and even though I find myself both mildly embarrassed that I enjoy or enjoyed some of these teenage expressions of heartbreak and sentiment I feel no shame to blast the ever loving fuck out of this forever stuck in the friendzone anthem of awesomeness that is American Hi-Fi’s lone hit single that isn’t really much pop punk but if you were to write the lyrics down and compare them to most of the other songs on this list I’m more then sure you’d think it to sound like the other songs and of course like the other songs I’m pretty sure Enema of the State being such a huge success helped this song really pick up some steam and become the lost one hit wonder classic of its time…

Man those awkward teenage blues never sounded so catchy or have this much jumping around thanks for reading and of course you can listen to all of these songs in the playlist below..



No comments:

Post a Comment