Saturday, February 14, 2015

Sam Went to a show last night....oh and Happy Valentines Day

So before I get into anything people I'd like to take the 30 seconds to say that Kansas City's 96.5 The Buzz is the best station ever....just saying they're more then responsible for making KC an amazing showcase for young and emerging artist and deserve as much love as possible and last night they had their annual Afentra's VD show and it was pretty bad ass and I'm going to tell you guy's just how awesome.

 Like I said last night was their annual Valentines Day concert and rather then taking the route of just having one obviously big act headline the whole thing they instead decided to have a series of bands and artist looking to make something of themselves and last night was a pretty solid showcase so here's the acts that played and my thoughts of them.

X Ambassadors

So these guy's opened the show with a pretty solid set of tunes that were a good bit of energy and plenty of interesting instrumentation and solid songs but I think they unfairly got the issue of opening band syndrome which kind of meant they didn't get the crowd in the heat of the moment but they were still solid none-the-less and I figure they may get to be better in time.

In the Valley Below

Not going to lie this band was pretty solidly good and kind of made me think of a more electronic Sonic Youth at times which isn't a bad thing at all and while some of their songs kind of sounded the exact same they were still pretty damn good and their song Peaches was pretty spectacular definitely a group to keep an eye out for.

 Melanie Martinez

I'm just going to get the one fault I had with this chick out of the way right now and say that I honestly after seeing her play live and getting to hear a little more of her songs I'm going to have to say that this chick REALLY sounds like she's taking quite a bit of her sound from one Kimbra who is an artist I've covered plenty of times on this blog and am very much a big fan of but even with that kind of souring her set a tiny bit there's still a load of positives I really have to give her.

While I was and am still not really a fan of her current EP that's out this chick is an incredibly solid performer  and she really can sing these kind of weird circusy sounding tunes very excellently and even with some technical difficulties she managed to hold up and give a very solidly good performance that sold me more whenever she started to do some of her more confident and quality tunes that she's saving for her upcoming album which I'm very much looking forward to give a listen to.

If this chick comes to your town hella go give her a view she wont dissapoint.

LIGHTS

It was rather disappointing that a good chunk of people left the show before this little Canadian pop artist got to perform because she's a pretty solid live act that gave a very high energy and entertaining set of songs that were a lot of big chorus' and danceable numbers that engaged a good bit of the crowd where I was standing quite a bit while also seemingly just throwing herself completely into her set and really did her best to show why she was the headliner and she did a very solidly good job at it.

Overall this show was pretty fucking great and the only real complaint if any is that the set's were very short and at times and some of the crowd was kind of less then spectacular but overall that's all minor because I'll be hella sure to come to the flying condom showcase again next year hopefully.

Thumbs up all over KC and here's a playlist of the bands that performed for all those interested in giving them a listen and of course make sure to go like and share The Official Facebook Page because you're awesome....



No comments:

Post a Comment