Monday, February 2, 2015

5 Years 5 Albums: Day 1



So this Sunday February 8th 2015 will mark the 5 year anniversary of Song of the day for me and that’s kind of crazy because 1 5 is my favorite number and 2 that’s 5 fucking years of songs people that’s a crazy idea for me to comprehend that in 5 years I’ve written about all these different songs, artist, genre’s, and articles that I can’t help but try to figure something significant for it considering it’s such an important number to me so I figured I’d be a little classy and rather than writing about individual songs like the websites name suggest I’d actually cover 5 albums that have been really important to me over the course of writing these song of the day’s because in time since starting to write these things up there’s been a lot of great music to come out and I can’t help but feel that these records in particular deserve some praise for really influencing my life as a whole, and with that in mind I figure the best place to start would be with a record that was all the hype in the beginning of this blog so with the first day of 5 years 5 albums I think it’s time to get classy folks…

The Lady Killer-Cee-Lo Green (2010)

Admitedly enough in time Mr. Green’s career kind of didn’t take the path it really needed to and he hasn’t really managed to follow up this record very well which is kind of a shame because this album kind of solidified my budding interest in Rhythm and Blues and Soul music as respectable genres and because of this albums throwback sound I found myself really widening my musical horizons which is kind of amazingly funny considering it all began with one big, “FUCK YOU!”

Yes the surprise hit of the decade in all its bitter heartbroken lyrical glory was the song that sucked me into an album that I’m pretty sure had just about every song on it covered on this little blog of mine and managed to not only crack into 2 different year end best of songs list but also manage to have it’s deluxe reissue have a song that I thought was better than a whole years worth of tunes.

Yeah I praised and rotated this album to death and in time it’s kind of become a lot of things to me but if there’s one thing I can truly credit this album for being it’s that it’s a bad ass collection of smooth retro-grooved rhythm and blues that really should have been bigger than it really was.

Quality Cuts: Wildflower, Crybaby, I want You



No comments:

Post a Comment