Tuesday, February 3, 2015

5 Years 5 Albums: Day 2



Picture Show-Neon Trees (2012)

You know these guys were one of the first bands I wrote an album review on and while Habits was a great introduction to this fun little power pop group I think they really took shape and blew my mind in the most unexpected way possible with their second effort.

This album was from the gate something that seriously impressed me and even to this very day I still hold it in high regards because it’s really just that a truly substantial effort from a group looking to make a record that people would remember and it really is an album worth remembering because it’s songs are very solidly written numbers that are a bit cheeky and kind of gives things a thematic feel with strong musicianship and them making their best efforts to actually showcase a sense of growth from the album before which while being a fun little bit of power pop glory at times sounded a little too much like they were making something that’s trying to be like Sam’s Town Era killers.

The overall tone and sound of this record very 80’s indeed kind of struck because in time I’ve kind of digressed in my overall musical taste for older alternative music and this album is something that’s both old school but still fresh and it’s kind of 80’s teen romance tone gives it a quality that I found myself wanting to really write a story to and I have been to varying degrees of success yes but still it’s an album that motivated me to really think about writing a story and that’s something that really has helped as things kind of went in directions I never thought they would.

Probably one of my favorite albums of all time all I can hope is that I’ll eventually get that story done and that this band continues to produce records of equal quality as this opus of a record..

Quality Cuts: Weekend, Mad Love, Still Young


No comments:

Post a Comment