Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Sam's Top 10 of 2017 #8

8.Go So Wrong-Second Hand King

First off I'd like to take a second to say that I saw this song played in my house and it was FUCKING AWESOME! Second Hand King is a hell of a dude people.

This song hit a little too close to home for me in terms of it's upbeat tone that it presents but it's rather sad subject matter of how something so good could possibly go so wrong which happened quite a bit more than I'd like to admit to in all honesty, “I could ever wonder how anybody could love a creature as cold blooded as me,” is but one of many examples of a lot of the lyrical sucker punches I often feel when I listen to a lot of SHK's more life focused relationship based tunes and this one felt the most real in a large sense and it's that undying reliability along with it's more R&B focused style that resonated to me because like my earlier post about Kendrick rap isn't a genre that completely resonates with me but it has it's merits and can emote something in me.

This is an excellent doo-whop cut which is showcasing King's continued venturing outside of his traditional rapping style to make what's an outright doo-wop track that sounds like some bad ass obscured cut you found rummaging through your parents old vinyl records and King's voice feels a lot more in control and well toned than you'd possibly expect which leads to a tune that hit close and was rotated plenty a night sober and drunk.

When I decided to reach out to SHK about this track this is what he had to say:

So what is the inspirations behind Go So Wrong?

Inspired by this time when a girl told me she was into me via a friend and I systematically destroyed her interest via my nonsense. It was a defense mechanism, in hindsight. I told her, via the friend, that she could only text me if she started each conversation with "turtles".

How was 2017 for you as a performer in terms of the music you wrote, released, and the performances you gave?

2017 was a reemergence for me. A lot changed at the beginning of the year, and I guess I just sort of found myself again near the tail end. March, I headlined the recordBar and that was a big piece of the puzzle for me. Kansas City supported me and I needed Kansas City. Also, I formed a band that I'm pretty excited about as well as started a side project with my friend Jesse from Sinple called Bad Dreamer.

What are your plans for 2018?

My plans are to perform. Hit the ground running, and release FRANKIE next year and something else that's sort of a surprise. All you need to know is you need to see me and my band The Lovers. ASAP. Right now. See us live. It's worth it. I promise.

-Second Hand King


No comments:

Post a Comment