Monday, December 18, 2017

Sam's Top 10 of 2017 #5

5.Be Good Boy-Momma's Boy

I can not lie I am pretty sure this may very well be my most listened to track of the whole year hands down no questions asked and the fact that I spent most of last year seeing them play it live over and over again obviously didn't play any part in that at all.........OK we all know that's a fucking lie but STILL this band may very well be the best in KC because to say they've improved in 12 months is the understatement of a century.

Top to bottom, track to track, show after show this band took all the momentum last year gave them and maybe a certain number 1 listing to heart and managed to crank out an EP that's just so fucking good, but all of those praises are irrelevant because we're talking about Be Good Boy here and before I get into explaining why this song is great I kind of feel like retelling you guy's a little story as to why this song has stuck with me so much.

So be me some time last year somewhere in the middle of Kansas in this house at maybe the coolest fucking thing ever in the form of this annual house show this band threw called Manor Fest watching them shred through a set so awesome that their guitarist Shaun Crowley's replacement guitars kept fucking up on him to a point where he got so pissed off that he went back to his original guitar to finish the song and in to light a cigarette to help calm down his aggression and as he stood there with a cigarette hanging from his mouth he sang the line, “I see you smoking a cigarette,” which to me was the most fucking bad ass thing ever if not the most random way to remember a track and as they performed it show after show I kept getting that line stuck in my head to a point where I got other folks stuck singing that line with me because I'm a dick and kept repeating it over and over again kind of like once this song finally got released I listened to the unholy fuck out of it and that's were we are today with it's placement on this list.

What we got here is this swirling bit of surf rock bad assery that's insainly catchy, blisteringly played, and just loaded with moments of utter awesomeness that you can't help but be captivated by it's pounding nature and the midpoint of the song where we get this awesome bass solo and these dueling guitar parts before a moment of silence that makes me want to just yell YEAH every time it comes up before getting blasted with an outro of everyone jumping into the pool at once you have something that sticks with you and leaves everyone dancing jumping around and wanting more and more and more.

God damn it momma's boy fucking rule.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment