Monday, December 24, 2018

The Last Day

So with the year end list out of the way I can finally make my one last announcement of the year in regards to Sam's Song of the Day people and that is that after 9 years of doing this on February 16th, 2019 I will officially be bringing Sam's Song of the Day to an end and to pay tribute to 9 year's of effort I'll be hosting a special end of day's show if you will at Minibar here in KCMO I'll be having a show to celebrate 9 years of Song of the Day with live performances from the bands Fiction Department, The Uk's, and Scruffy and the Janitors be sure to show up and prove to me that the efforts where all wort it people...


Also I'd like to take a second to thank none other than Kid Computers Very own George McMillian for designing this bad ass fucking poster for me


OH I'm guessing I should probably explain this decision a little bit better well....So let's back things up a bit Sam's SOTD started as a means of me kind of creatively expressing myself on the Smashing Pumpkins forums as a means of trying to give myself an identity because at the time I had finished up high school and was in an awkward transitional time of my life where I'd realized that talking about and discussing music with the world was a true passion of mine and after a couple of months of posting on that forum and my own personal facebook I remember this woman that for lack of a better way to describe her I'd describe as a creative source of inspiration for me complimented a post I'd made about the song, “Blow Up the Outside World,” and said for me to just start a blog already so kind of like the original post I'd decided to find the first blog hosting site that came up and then started the Sam's SOTD website you are reading today and throughout that time I've had a host of ups and down's that has lead me to cover a host of songs both cringy beyond belief to some of the best god damn pieces of music I'd ever heard in my life.

I've done interviews, reviews, and a host of one off dumb ass idea's that I wasn't sure if they'd stick or not and I did it all to very little response beyond the occasional compliments from various contemporaries and sometimes the occasional post like or comment and it was going good for quite a few years I look back on the effort really put in from 2012 to 2015 and I felt at one point in time that I really maybe finally had something to be proud of, but that wasn't really the case because of certain personal tragedies that had happened to me in 2014 I'd ended up going through some really heavy stuff and my personal love for life, and the things that interested me just kind of stopped and this blog suffered because of it.

I'd stopped posting so regularly and it became harder and harder to not only adequately word just what it was about the music I listened to but it was really hard for me to truly FEEL anything when I was listening to a lot of songs which is kind of funny to think about because 2015 and 2016 I really did kind of try and fail hard to really try and advertise Sam's SOTD as something and I guess near the end of that time frame I'd come to the sad realization that it wasn't and I'd just kind of been felt the fool to try and act as if I'm trying to be someone I never ended up achieving.

I wanted to be a Radio Dj and a music journalist, I wanted the world to hear my opinion on these songs and be like, “Yeah you're fucking right dude this does rule,” and sadly enough that never was to be I can only really blame myself for not putting the effort in to REALLY make this a thing and I guess taking 2018 off to reflect over that just brought it all into perspective I decided to just put more effort into the job I currently have and figured that ending this blog and trying to find my mojo or possibly make one last go at trying to make a piece of art that the world can look at and enjoy and show me that my efforts as a voice of unbridled passion was really wort it but as of today this website isn't it.

With that all said and an end on the horizon all that's really left to do until then is to just celebrate myself and look back at 9 years of music that made this thing what it is today so with that in mind until that show comes I'll be posting and undetermined number of songs from this playlist I worked on and started tearing up at that showcases the various songs that I've enjoyed over these years and a host of music that has a certain level of importance to me that I'll be telling you guy's with each post until the day of the show where I'll throw it and maybe make one last post comprised of pics as the last send off.

Now with that in mind starting January 1st I'll be starting out covering all of the songs that I personally considered the best of their respective years in question so stay tuned for that and be prepared to see this be the most active it's been in years.

1 comment:

  1. Well its been a ride my man, but I dont think you should give up completely, I certainly believe you have a gift with music

    ReplyDelete