Friday, December 7, 2018

Sam's Top 5 of 2018 #1



#1

Past Love-Kimbra

You know in the 7+ years I've obsessed over this woman I have yet to ever put her atop my year end list starting with her guest spot with Gotye on the first list and into Vow's which in retrospect is a hell of a pop album but my writing around 2012 was at best the cringiest point of my life and 2014 a confusing mess of things as well as a surprisingly strong year in retrospect in terms of both the songs on that years list and the amount of effort I really put into this blog and over those years I've gone through a lot and done a lot of growing as a person in terms of where I've ended up in life and what I consider good music or writing but through all of this Kimbra has been an artist that I've consistently supported and enjoyed watching do her thing and this year not only did I get to see her again but she gifted me with something I didn't realize I've always wanted.

Kimbra made a fucking Doo-wop song and it is the best god damn thing EVER! If you look back on the earliest day's of this blog you'd know that since I started this I've grown an appreciation for old school Rhythm and Blues and the kind of simple yet clean way it presents what's at their core very simple songs that don't need to rely on complex song writing but rather the vocalist ability to properly emote feelings from the words through their performance and Kimbra being one of the most underrated vocalist in the game not only stood up to the plate but hit it beyond the stratosphere and has crafted what's truly an instant classic to be appreciated for decades to come in my humble opinion.

This is truly the only instance of ever hearing a song that I didn't know I needed in my life but now that it is I never EVER want to let it go. This is sorrow, regret, joy, and every which what emotion a song could possibly make you feel on top of a rhythm that's so tight, clean, and simple that it doesn't need any fancy effects what so ever just Kimbra's beautiful sultry delivery and a steady drum beat with some light baroque instrumentals near the end just to keep things just that extra bit of exceptional.

I fucking love this god damn song more than life itself people and I think Kimbra not only recorded the best song of her entire career here but she's honestly probably made the single greatest song of the decade and I'm sure I'll always have that sentiment for sure.

I didn't do a whole lot of going out this year and in terms of writing and inspiration through music I just haven't felt a god damn thing but for how long and important this all has been for me there's still moments that had to hit me and of all the things I've heard this tune hit me in a way that I truly can't recall having felt in quite some time and seeing her live from my tickets I won in a show that I'd literally waited years to have happen again only confirmed that this is one of those number one picks I'll never regret and in all honesty the only song I could put here no matter how good the rest of my picks really were.

That's the end of the year list I wasn't going to not post something on here and stay tuned for one more announcement later this month just before January of 2019 folks because it's maybe the most important thing I'll ever announce on here and I need everyone to be there.

It was quite wonderful to get to post on here again and this years song selections where quite the pleasure to post and listen to I'd like to take a second to thank everyone for reading, sticking around, sharing the post, and of course just generally being there don't have too much fun this holiday season and stay tuned for a HUGE announcement coming soon.

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment