Monday, February 6, 2017

Sam's Thoughts...

Guy's My Age-Hey Violet

I was watching this video on the internet called Billboard breakdown where this guy analyzes the Billboard Hot 100 every week and this past week this song apparently charted somewhere in the lower half of the chart recently and I remember this critic being very harsh on this song to a point where that along with the small clip just kind of made me have to go check this song out and a few listens later I'm a small bit perplexed.

So some context to all this apparently Hey Violet consist of the members of a band called Cherri Bomb who from what I heard were an all girl pop punk act that made what was pretty bland fair very reminiscent of their tour mates 5 Seconds of Summer with a sound that give me this feeling that I'm way to old for this teenybopper shit so from that after the lead singer decided to go AWOL they reformed and changed their sound to go from a kind of teenybopper pop punk group to what I can best describe as Melanie Martinez trying to make a radio Disney rock record.

The chick they have singing for them pretty much sounds like a Disney channel knock off Melanie and from this and the other songs they've made her lyrical themes seem to consist of edgy teenage girl things like hating on “Fuqboi's,”  being young and, “Feeling it,” and of course the subject of today's post wanting to fuck older men.

This song from the beginning drops pretty much all the Radio Disney rock sounds of their previous tunes and instead adopts a kind of trap music tone with a pretty decent drop as she lulls along a chorus that sounds exactly like something Melanie Martinez would write, “Guy's My Age don't know how to treat me, don't know how to treat me, don't know how to treat me, don't know how to touch me, don't know how to love me good,” croons this purple haired choker clad chick that I had to verify that she's 18 while she does her best to basically personify a Tumblr post validating why it's not at all creepy for women this age to go after men who are at a significantly different point in their lives than them.

You have an incredibly creepy undertone going on here where the whole I'm a bad girl who's mature for her age is spending 3 and a half minutes making a very 2016 sounding pop tune that's admittedly pretty fucking catchy with it's formulaic but solid beat being complimentary to a vocalist that's clearly taking notes from Melanie Martinez and Halsey in trying to be very forbidden fruit sexy but equally uncomfortable and admittedly I only find this song interesting for the fact that somebody who enjoys Melanie Martinez as much as I do should theoretically enjoy this song a lot more but really I'm getting more of a vibe that I'm listening to a cheap knock off that just makes me wonder if all future pop bands are going to be this kind of blasé edgy teen bullshit from here on out because modern radio has been stagnant with only a couple of real gems shining though and if this sound is apparently what it takes to get on the hot 100 and get 6 million plays on Youtube than I'm just starting to think that Billy Corgan was right in saying Rock is Dead and the internet has fucked everything up because this catchy but underwhelming bit of Tumblr jams is a bad example of things to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment