Wednesday, February 8, 2017

7 years 5 great tracks

So I haven't written about a group of songs in quite some time and there's a very special anniversary that's come today and that would be mine, yes people today Sam's Song of the Day is officially 7 years old and with that in mind I'm a do one of my favorite things a Top 5 list but rather than making a best of like I did a few years ago I'm instead going to highlight 5 tracks that you guy's should all be listening to RIGHT THE FUCK NOW!!!! maybe all at the same time if you're fancy but yeah I've done plenty of reminiscing on here and figure I'd take this year to be in the here and now so in no particular order here's 5 songs that I've on and off been rocking out to over the past few weeks starting with the newest release...

1. Be Good Boy-Momma's Boy

AH THE FUCK YEAH! Kansas City's best group of rockers are gearing up to release the much anticipated and surely spectacular Liquid Courage EP this month and on February 3rd they debuted the first single from the upcoming 6 track EP in the form of this spectacular surf rock cut, “Be Good Boy,” which is a racious little number with an infectiously catchy guitar groove, some stellar bass work, and an opening line I get stuck in my head ALL THE TIME! Seriously before this was recorded I'd get the line, “I See You Smoking a Cigarette,” stuck in my head all the god damn time partly because I'd heard this so many times when I've gone to see them play and because of my favorite story involving this band.

It was at the second show I saw them which was a house show called Manor Fest which they threw in their house and they were closing out the first of a two night extravaganza and during their set the guitarist and vocalist on this particular track Mr. Shaun Crowley had tried to use another guitar for a track and during the whole song the guitar wasn't working and as the song went on he got more and more frustrated before eventually saying fuck it and plugging back in his regular guitar with just enough time to finish out the song and to light a cigarette before then starting in on this very track singing that line with a cigarette in his mouth and I'm not going to lie that was probably the most bad ass fucking thing I'd ever seen somebody performing a show do which is kind of silly yes but you know what FUCK IT if you were there and you saw that you'd think, “wow that guy's a cool mother fucker,” and you'd be damn right because that was Rock and Roll as fuck and this song is about that bad ass so yeah you should go to bandcamp and download the fuck out of this and if you're cool you can throw down a dollar or nothing at all I'm not here to judge just to tell you to download and play this awesome track repeatedly.

Also if you're really fucking awesome you can go see these bad ass mother fuckers play this song live for their release shows of Liquid Courage on February 23rd at the Replay Lounge in Lawrence Kansas or on February 25th at the Tank Room here in KCMO where you can get a copy of this album on CD or Cassette if that's your jive but either way you owe it to yourself to see this fucking band because yeah they are fucking AWESOME!



2. The One Who Got away-Shadow Rabbits

ON the topic of bad ass Kansas City acts that I've seen and covered here on Sam's Song of the Day we have the very groovy Shadow Rabbits with a very kind of dreamy-indie rock song with very 60's psychedelic rock tones in the form of, “The One Who Got Away,” which I've had on a pretty steady repeat since getting to see them play it live and I just have to say GOD DAMN is this song good.

The vocals are just on point with a level of confidence that is just damn impressive, the production is retro but still clean, and the part near the end where she echo's the line, “You're the one who got away,” that just get stuck in my head and give the listener something to REALLY sing along to with a shit load of passion similar to it's lyrical themes that are pretty much explained in the title and admittedly are very minimal and possibly could stand to have a verse just kind of cut out for the sake of making it not drag on awkwardly but hey when you're harking back to a time of 3 minute rock tunes that's acceptable and of course that outro is just damn great.

This band is super dope people and I this track is just one of many they have available that are well worth your time to go check out.





3. To The Fire-DREAMERS

Now for me to talk about a band that I've covered for quite a while on here and who isn't from Kansas City and a band that I'll be seeing live again here next month with one of MANY exceptional cuts from their debut album, “This Album Does Not Exist,” in the form of this just fucking jaw droppingly great track, “To the Fire,” which is a very kind of 80's New Wave dreamy cut with a chorus that's just fucking pure unadulterated FIRE like for real I could just hear those echoing cries of, “Into the fire,” on endless repeat people because I just love the effects that they use on the vocals and the steady pace of this tracks instrumentals on top of those kind of dragged out echoed vocals and the run time of just 2 minutes and 50 seconds is fucking perfect because it makes the song stay around for just long enough to make you down right crave it.

For real it's super fast pace along with awesome structure and addictively catchy echoing woo's will leave you just saying, “To the Fire,” over and over as you hit repeat to unsuccessfully try to get this awesome piece of music out of your head.

I can't wait to get to talk to these guy's again so I can tell them how great they made last year with their support of Sam's Song of the Day over their Twitter and little fun fact they were actually the first band to ever comment on one of my song of the Day post whenever I wrote about how fucking bad ass a song Wolves is and it's something I'll probably always be a little bit proud of and one of many reasons why I'm so god damn fond of this band.




4.  Can You Deal-Bleached

Yet another newer band I love and have gotten the absolute pleasure of not only seeing twice but getting to talk to them personally Bleached recently announced that they're getting ready to put out a new EP and Zine called Can You Deal which you can read about on their various social media accounts and their website and they're also gearing up to tour with The Dammed for their 40th anniversary tour which is fucking wicked as hell but with all that in mind let's talk about this fucking bad ass new single of theirs.

Can You Deal is a very kind of 90's tinged grungy rock and roll track very reminiscent of something you'd expect to hear from a Veruca Salt or maybe the Pixies and Jessica Clavins Guitar Work on this track is very VERY good and I love her changing of pace when she goes from kind of softer parts during most of the verses before kicking things into hyper drive and just fucking pounding through the chorus and her solo around the 2:50 mark is quite nice and of course Jennifers Vocals are just more confident than ever and she seems to really feel this song from how she sings it.

This band get's progressively better with each release and, “Can You Deal,” from just this track alone sounds like it may end up being possibly better than Welcome to The Worms because this band is finding a groove and will be taking over the world before we know it.



5. I Palindrome I-They Might Be Giants

So I'm a go WAYYY back to ye mythical Year of 1992 with the second track to the masters of quirky 90's alternative rock They Might Be Giants partly overlooked masterpiece of an album Apollo 18, “I palindrome I,” which in the title and a lot of it's lyrics ironically enough is a palindrome which is just one of many examples of how this quirky little duo may be the most ingeniously intelligent band around.

“Some day mother will die and I'll get the money, Mom leans down and say's my sentiments exactly, You son of a bitch I palindrome I,” start a very kind of dark and almost jerky little number that again doesn't over stay it's welcome and is dripping with this bands patented brand of charm and spontaneity in it's rapid fire pace you're delivered a stellar track that'll wiggle it's way into your subconscious and serve as one of MANY reminders that this band is more than a couple of bad ass Looney Tunes tracks.

For real if you get the time look into this bands catalog because they have made a fucking shit load of REALLY good songs that are very quirky in nature but at times can be surprising in just how well written and clever they actually are.

SO there you go people 5 bad ass songs I'm listening to right now it's been pretty fucking fun to of been doing this whole site for the past 7 years which is still FUCKING CRAZY to wrap my head around because I didn't think just how long it'd been and my facebook on this day memories thing are loaded with my post of these different songs of the day's and I've written some cringe inducing shit for sure but at the same time this little project has also given me some fucking spectacular memories especially from all the people who've read the different post and told me how much they liked them those people are the fucking best and deserve the biggest thanks along with all the bands and artist I've covered thanks for giving me a reason to go on for 7 years and the years to come but hey let's quit being sappy and go ROCK THE FUCK ON!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment