Saturday, January 21, 2017

Sam's Show Recap 1/20/17

Another weekend another show people and this one last night was FUCKING GREAT and here's yet another round-up for you guy's to go check out.

So I went to local venue The Tank Room which in all honesty is one of my favorites the staff there are super cool, the atmosphere is great, and they get some bad ass bands to play there so if you get the chance I very much advise you go see a show there because they continued their track record of doing a quality job with this show which was for a Lousiana based indie-pop act Royal Teeth with opening acts Rachel Mallin and the Wild Type and Nashville artist Tristen so on to the terribly taken photos and descriptions on the sets I watched.





Funny story here obviously I didn't get to see these guys last week and it seemed that they wanted to more than make up for that because they did a fucking stellar job at this show from the blisteringly awesome opening track I Pick Winners a fucking stand out track from their as yet to be recorded follow up to Degenerate Matters they hit the ground running with a furious blend of awesome surf rock tones and infectiously catchy hooks that I can only imagine being a truly big track from a band that ever since I first saw them at this very venue last April have really seemed to grown and improve tenfold really their playing this night was tight as hell, they were super comfortable and very witty in their on stage banter, and they overall held themselves in such a way that's quite an improvement since the first time I saw them and that's quite great to see because they really are such a wonderful and talented group of people who are crafting all sorts of excellent songs and on this particular night they played a couple of new songs that admittedly are in the rough stages but in time will most definitely be something great especially the song they closed with who's name I forgot to write down but god damn it was a somber little number who's opening chords sent shivers down my spine and was really really good.

I've seen this band a boat load of times and this night in particular really showcased why because they give a fucking great show that has only continued to grow better and better as they get more comfortable with each passing performance and if you get the chance go see them.





So I'd never heard any of Tristen's music and had no clue what to honestly expect and from the opening chords of their track Save Raina I was pleasantly surprised with a series of incredibly blue grassy kind of dust bowl sounding tunes that were sang by someone who's voice reminded me of a Neko Case to some capacity in her slight country ting with her alternative rock melodies that perfectly went along with a series of songs that as her set went along picked up in energy and quality.

This chick was dope and if she's in your neck of the woods I'd say give her a listen if you're into a more  folk influenced kind of country tinged brand of alternative rock I'd say you can really get to digging her and the fact that she's also a poet could result in a pretty solid experience for people who want some well written tunes.





I can't lie to you people these guys are some youthful looking folks and their music really reflects that with an energy and stage presence that can only really come when you're young, hungry, and ready to take over the world this band I hadn't really heard to much of before this show and wasn't entirely sure what to expect and what happened was quite a pleasant surprise.

These guys got some fucking energy and this show was a nearly non-stop series of infectiously catchy indie pop tracks similar to groups like Echo Smith or the Mowgli's that left the crowd dancing like crazy from pretty much the get go with all sorts of howling tracks and chorus' that were easy to sing along to even if you didn't know them to well to begin with you got this feeling like you did by the end of their set because the songs themselves were incredibly easy to sing along to with their excessive oh's and ah's and plenty of simple clap along beats they made you want to move, jump, and sing along that's for damn sure.

I really REALLY dug these guy's and their more pop sound that made tracks like, “Is it Just me,” and, “Wild,” a real pleasure to see live and their cover of, “Heartbeats,” which was the second song in their set and the one I remember being really fond of when I was giving them a listen a couple of day's before the show was FUCKING PHENOMENAL like I've been a huge fan of that song for years now but their arrangement which is actually pretty close to the original version is fucking great they managed to maintain a very poppy tone that makes you want to move but somehow also manage to pull a Jose Gonzalez and give a vocal performance that really has this expertly written track just hit you square in the fucking feels and give you this really kind of spine tingling sense of joy that reminds you why songs are so great sometimes.

This bands ability to feed off the crowd and make them go even harder is quite impressive and by the end of their set I was most certainly invested and will definitely be seeing them again the next opportunity I can make and if you can I very much advise you do the same because these guy's are really quite a show.


(my first set list of the year)




So yeah this night was fucking great and minus a certain sense of tension from some shenanigans I could care less to really get into there's nothing to really complain about here all the bands were killer and the fine folks at the Tank Room did an excellent job in mixing them and really making it all worth my money all thumbs up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment