Tuesday, April 19, 2016

KC Showcase: Brave the Spirit

So I've been pretty much not writing because I lack the motivation to really put my thoughts to words or more specifically remember them long enough to write them down but recently in between my personal life being kind of shitty I've managed to start trying to devote myself into the whole local music scene here in Kansas City because I remember the tail end of last year and my year end having a lot of local music acts on it and I recently went to a showcase where a bunch of up and coming bands got the chance to really play for a decent sized crowd of people and after telling enough of them how good they're doing I figured I'd cover a few songs, ep's, and bands from my neck of the woods in something called the KC Showcase where I talk about local acts worth your time.

Brave the Spirit-The Beautiful Fight

I'm not going to lie I only really caught this group's last song at the showcase I went to but I remember being impressed with the song enough to compliment and get a hold of them via social media and recently got informed of this little EP they've been working on called the Beautiful Fight.

This record is some straightforward high energy acoustic heavy alternative rock with vocals that feel a bit early 2000's emo at points but in a very good way and you really can hear the energy and desire these guy's have to craft tracks they want you to remember the more and more you rotate this little collection of songs and it's opening track Hey Kid does a good job of getting things moving right out of the gate with a very heavy acoustic guitar and a synth beat that you could actually sing on it's own which leads to a tune that really keeps on staying good even after repeated listens.

The next track Lucy is a bit more of a dreamy affair and a solid song in it's own right as well as it's following track Limousines which in some odd ways reminds me a bit of another Kansas City act known as Josephine Collective with it's woa-oh's dominating the chorus and lyrics that feel straight out of early 2000s crushes which are all good in my book.

I will say that if there's a track that'll get you invested it'd certainly be this albums closer Inside Out which in all honesty is a very simple song that seems to just work on the principle of being a solidly great song with a straightforward approach and a sound that feels like it's the track that they really REALLY put an effort into making the biggest and most memorable song and it's a great closer to what's a solid collection of tracks that you'll find yourself rotating more and more and really just enjoying the songs even more.

Overall this Ep's pretty damn good and I'd advise taking the time to give it a listen because they just released it on Spotify today and below will be a few links to their various social media outlets so you can tell them what you think.










No comments:

Post a Comment